Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kimchee & Visualization



So I've read about the benefits of eating kimchee awhile ago and I do enjoy eating it. Which is actually kind of surprising considering I've always hated spicy food. Even now, I can't stand salsa that ranks higher than 'mild' and even then, some milds are a bit too much for me to handle. But I can handle kimchee. Or at least I try to to. I usually eat it by diluting the spiciness with rice, but I'll willingly try and consume it by arming myself with a big glass of water. 

The other weird effect that kimchee has on me, is that I'll actually crave it. Again. I find that strange. 

So today I decided to head out in the rain and make a trip across town (about 35-40 minutes each way) to get some kimchee from this little 'Mom & Pop' Korean Shop that I was introduced to. The husband has to work this weekend, so I figured it was a good way to waste some time. 


I bought the regular 'cabbage' variety and I also picked up a jar of the daikon radish kimchee (which is actually my favorite) but after tasting them both, I actually think I prefer the cabbage batch this time around.

When I got back home, it was also lunch time, so I decided to splurge and have a full cup of cooked rice (and yes, I tried to smash as much rice into that measuring cup as I possible could ... like ... I actually used my hand to smash it in) to accompany my new delightful side dish. And ohhh, was it fabulous!

But I did discover two things:
1) I don't need a full cup of rice. I can easily be satisfied with a 1/2 cup (but I'll probably still do my 'smashing' technique, so maybe it IS more equal to a full cup ...)
2) I felt full and satisfied (at this point I had only consumed about half of my rice portion)

I had already started cooking my lunch (which was a bunch of roasted veggies with turkey) so of course I couldn't let it go to waste, but I did make a mental note that a half cup of rice with kimchee would be a fabulous snack that I think I'll have probably once a day. I really want to get in the habit of having daily kimchee consumption. Here's just one of many articles that talk about some of the benefits. You can find that article HERE


And now to transition to something altogether different. 

I've heard that you should 'visualize' yourself achieving your goals. Something about that helps you make them a reality (at least I think that's what I was told). So I decided that every Saturday night I'm going to post something that I want to wear when I reach my goal weight. I actually love fashion and one of the biggest frustrations in being fat is that I cannot take part in that hobby. Instead, I'm left to live vicariously through my daughter who has the exact opposite problem as me. She needs to gain weight. Granted, while most of the clothing that's available in children's sizes isn't what I dream about wearing, I do find great pleasure in picking out fun clothes for her. 

But of course I'd rather be picking out clothes for me.

So I did. Here is a little dress that I found at Banana Republic that I would love to wear.



I love the simplicity of the dress, but also the little somethin' somethin' around the neckline. So this will be the first addition to my 'skinny closet' that will exist only in my mind. Because if I'm being honest, by the time I reach my goal weight, I'm going to want to get something new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment