Monday, April 11, 2011

Momentum


So I am more than pleased to tell you that I went for a walk this morning. Did I run? Well ... I tried to jog, and then quickly realized that I couldn't do it. 

First off, it's SUPER hard to watch a clock while walking. If you watch a clock the entire time, then it goes by really slowly, but then if you don't look often enough, your timing is all off. I was going to get a little digital watch, but didn't have time, so I took my iphone (as it has a timer on it), but my phone would 'go off' since I wasn't using it. Frustrating. 

I did a 5 minute warm-up walk, and then with perfect timing, I rounded a corner where there was a straight away. So I decided to give my '60 second jog' a try. After about 10 steps, I realized that this was going to be hard. There was a slight 'incline' and even though the stroller has wheels, pushing 50lbs isn't super easy. I thought about giving up, but there were houses lining both sides of the street, and it's not a very wide street. So I thought if anyone saw me when I started to jog, they'd think I was a loser if I stopped jogging so quickly. So I kept going till I hit the main road. 

It took me 2 minutes (um... passed the 60 seconds that I was initially trying for) and I thought my lungs would burst. I also realized that it would take me MUCH longer than 90 seconds to 'recover' from a jog. So I have come up with a new plan:

The plan is that I'm going to walk for 30 minutes every morning for at least 5 out of the 7 days. (which basically translates into me walking Mon - Fri.) I will do this for the rest of April and then start the 'Couch to 5K' program on May 2nd. 

I just really think that I need the next few weeks to transition myself into exercising since I wasn't doing anything. I do think I'm up for the challenge, but I want to  make sure that I'm setting myself up for success, and not failure. 

So who's with me? You have plenty of time to prepare before May, but it's not like it's forever away. When I start on May 2nd, that will be Day 1 of the 'program' and then we'll do Days 2/3 on Wed/Fri. Does that make sense? 

So sign up now - and just because I'm nice, I'm waiving the registration fee.  

*** just wanted to add that I bought this timer thingy from the running website that was listed in yesterday's comments. I can set it so an alarm will go off for when I need to run, and a different alarm will go off for when I need to walk. BRILLIANT! And it was only $20. AWESOME. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment