Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dark Chocolate ... Let's DO THIS!

Alright ... here we go. Let's get our chocolate talk ON!


this is some of the dark chocolate I have in my house
(click on the photos to make them bigger, if needed)
some of them we have 'multiples' of, and some are just single bars.
I will say - when your only indulgence is dark chocolate,
it's easy to quickly turn into a connoisseur of sorts.

and I mean, why not, right? It's not like it's a bad gig. 

So here's a few I thought I'd talk about.


I got this one at Whole Paycheck Foods. 
(notice the 80% in the bottom left corner - try to stay at a minimum of 70%)
When I first tasted this one, I though it was pretty mild - which is actually
quite surprising as the higher the % is, usually the stronger, richer the flavor. 
But to me, there was a strong after-taste. And it reminded me of cow manure. 
So I quickly stopped eating it - and doubt I ever will again. 
(so this is the only 'thumbs down' review I have)


 Ghirardelli is probably going to be your least expensive dark chocolate.
These other bars will easily cost between $3-4, but sometimes you can find them on sale.
What's nice about these individually wrapped squares, is that
it gives you better portion control. There's something about having to open
up another package that makes you feel like you're eating more,
when in reality, one square could be less than eating part of a 'big bar'. 
The flavor is pretty good - not too strong, and I would say it's more on the mild side.



I just discovered this bar. And I am soooooo in love.
(no pun intended)
A cute little feature is that inside the wrapper there is actually a love poem.
I went to read it to the husband, but then quickly realized that it was some
Shakespearean sonnet (something in that genre) and I stopped. 
That stuff just messes up my 'flow'. Not my fave when it comes to poems.
But this dark chocolate is FABULOUS.
Before this whole Primal thing, I was a HARD CORE Milk Chocolate fan.
I'm not even kidding. Milk Chocolate is like heavenly bliss to me. 
But when you're changing your lifestyle ... well, beggers can't be choosers.
So I will gladly embrace the dark side. And this Dark Chocolate bar makes it super easy.
This one gets a HUGE double thumbs up. I highly recommend it.



These two are my other favorites. 
The one on the right ... it's more of a 'cheating bar'. I think it's only 70% ... 
I had a hard time finding the percentage ... which is never a good sign as it usually means
it's low (and you want as high as you can get). Both of the bars have 'mint' infused in them.
And ooooooooooh is it so good! The one of the right as some magical crunch nib thingys
in it and that makes it the most delightful treat ... but it also makes it very addicting. 

The one on the left is just straight up smooth Dark Chocolate with mint. 
It is awesome and definitely my 'go to' most of the time. I think I have 3 bars in 
my house right now. And I'm not even joking. The one on the right ...
I'll only buy 1 at a time of those. It's too easy to go crazy on them. 

So for now - that's my Dark Chocolate Review. 
Remember to aim for the highest percentage you can handle. 

and if you find a new one that I haven't seen yet ...
don't be shy - and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment