Sunday, September 11, 2011

a MIRACLE happened today

So this morning there was no breakfast. The husband does most of the cooking and he had to leave super early for work (not to mention we were out of eggs and bacon - AH!). I wasn't worried though, as I decided that I would just eat lunch since we were going up to Apple Hill for a picnic (Apple Hill is where I grew up and there are a TON of Apple Orchards, Christmas Tree Farms, Pumpkin Patches, Wineries, etc. Very touristy, and the season starts every Labor Day). I ended up just bringing some salami/cheese and fruit for us (plus some other snacky stuff for the kiddos). I know that salami isn't exactly Primal - but hey. We do what we gotta do sometimes (and just as a side note, these are the kinds of things that I'm not going to stress over. Salami will not be a part of my every day life. But since my Parents were coming to the picnic as well, I wanted to be able to have something that they would want to eat too. I just had a very moderate serving... and surprisingly, I was totally satisfied).

But that wasn't the miracle.

My plan after leaving Apple Hill was to go to the gym. I even brought my clothes with me and changed at my Parent's house. So I arrive at the gym and get on a treadmill. After 15  minutes of walking, I thought to myself, 'I wonder what would happen if I tried to jog ... " So you know what I did? I tried it. And not only did I try it, but I ACTUALLY JOGGED FOR 10 MINUTES!'

Seriously. This is pretty freaking amazing for me. The last time I tried jogging (which was way back when when I thought I'd try that whole Couch-2-5K thing and quit after one day) I could BARELY jog for a minute... 2 minutes max but seriously - I don't think I even did that. 

My jogging was slow. But for me, it was huge. I'm not going to try it again any time soon - as I'm super afraid of getting shin splints and I want to lose more weight before I actually try jogging on a regular basis. But this was a huge accomplishment. On the treadmill, there is this little 'heart' as an icon next to where you measure your heart rate. That's what I focused on as I jogged. The original thought was to jog for 3 minutes. Just make it to 3. But then as 3 was approaching I thought, Well... maybe I can do 5 ... yeah ... just make it to 5. And once 5 came I thought, Make it to 10. If you can make it to 10 then you can share it on the blog and people will think it's good. 3 minutes? Not that exciting ... but 10 ... that's awesome!  And that's what I did. 

Well, that ... and when ever it started to get hard, I just thought to myself, 'burn fat! burn fat!' (that's what I was saying in my head). I also told myself, if it really starts to hurt, you can SCREAM 'burn fat' to yourself (as long as it's still in your head ... because if you screamed that out loud, people would think you're a freak). 

Anyway, that worked. Or at least it helped. Because I did it. And yes, it was nothing short of a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment