Thursday, December 2, 2010

Birthday Reflections

Today I turned 35. Well, at least I'm pretty sure that I'm 35. I was adopted from South Korea and supposedly a note with my name and birthday was pinned to me when they found me at a train station. But recently I heard that there is always the possibility that it might not be true. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, maybe I should just start telling people that I'm 27. I know, I'm smoking my crack pipe.

One things for certain, I had a really good day today. I had Korean food. And a big kudos to me, I didn't finish all my rice! This was not a conscious decision, I just ate what ever I wanted and when I was done, I realized that there was still rice left in the bowl! Big whoo-hoo for me. 

I didn't eat breakfast this morning (I know, that's a bad thing) because I knew I was having a big lunch. I shared some Bulgogi and Japchae (the first is marinated beef and the second is a noodle dish). The servings were really big and I probably ate almost half of the Bulgogi and 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of the Japchae. (now watch, those were actually servings for 4) And of course I got my kimchee and bean sprout side dishes. SO DELICIOUS!

It was definitely the most I've had to eat in one sitting in over 2 weeks. It tasted so good, but afterwards I felt kinda... eh. I just felt like I over-ate. Which I think is a good thing. It goes to show that I'm used to smaller portions. 

Oh - and I decided to go with this:

Tyra Banks tells the models-in-training on ANTM
that they need to smile with their eyes.

can you tell my eyes are smiling?
(and they're open really wide - I wanted to make sure you could see them)

and just so you know - I didn't eat the whole bag
(someone else ate 3 of them)

dude - that was the best alternative to cake EVER!


But tomorrow it's back to normal. And if I'm being honest, I'm actually looking forward to it. It's nice to have these days of splurges, but I'm starting to see how they negatively effect me. Like, I don't 'feel' the same way I used to when I would eat (which would calm me down, or relax me) as now it makes me feel a bit gross. Which I totally take as a good thing. It's nice to have that 'reminder' of what I'm not missing.

Looks like we'll be having some rain for the next few days. Which bums me out because believe it or not, I'm in the mood to take a walk.  I know, what's happening to me, right?!

This past year has been pretty darn incredible in many ways - but namely, it was the year that my son came home to us. It was also the year that I visited the country of my birth for the first time since leaving. And while life is never perfect per say, I have to admit that life is definitely good. I feel like I'm at a really good place with things: I see what I need to work on, and I have a plan. I'm so looking forward to this year, and seeing what it has in store. And of course I'm looking forward to my 'finish line', which is a year from today. If I get there before, that would be completely amazing, but regardless of how little or much progress I make, I will celebrate it. Because no matter what, I'll be making a change for the better. And that's a really good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment