Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Get Your Jook On

In honor of our great participant, Shannon, who has been waiting so patiently for me to post my Jook recipe, I thought I'd go ahead and post it for all to read. 





I have to say, this tastes a lot like an over-cooked chicken and rice soup ... which I happen to love. This website is full of fantastic Korean recipes, so if you're feeling adventurous - give it a try!

Oh - and here's my 'Cliff Notes' version:

To save on time, I do use a few substitutes. I think it tastes the same - or pretty close to it when I don't have 3 hours to kill.

I just bought a small container of precut carrots/onions/celery from Trader Joes. I'm going to try that the next time I make Jook (which should be soon). I also get a rotisserie chicken and chop that up. Then I take the vegetable stock and put the veggies and rice in it and bring it to a boil. I let it boil for a good 15-20 minutes. Then I add the rest of the stock and cook it on medium heat for another 15-20 minutes (so it's at a slight boil... if that makes sense. I'm not a good cook so I have no idea if what I'm doing is right, or what it's technically called). 

Then I put the lid on and turn of the stove and go about my business. The longer it sits, the more the rice absorbs the liquid. Or if I'm super hungry, I go ahead and eat it :)

My son loves this stuff as he's been eating rice since before he came home. And when you're sick (like I was last week) it just a warm comforting type of food. 

So while this has nothing to do with weight-loss, it's something I do love to eat. And that's kind of related... right?


No comments:

Post a Comment